There are days when we all wish we could be stranded on a desert island with just our favorite reads to get us through.
Thank you reader for this question:
Which five books would you want if you were stranded on a desert island?
- The Long Winter, Laura Ingalls Wilder–because you must have one tried-and-true favorite
- Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng–because I need something I haven’t yet read, but that’s sitting in my TBR
- The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien–because I’ve never read it, but I should, & my dad’s loved it
- I Feel Bad About My Neck, Nora Ephron–because if I’m trapped on an island I will definitely need to laugh
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen–I debated this or Little Women, but this is what I’m in the mood for now
I’ll be stealing some of JF’s categories
- Angela’s Ashes, Frank McCourt– a tried and true favorite
- Station Eleven, Emily St. John Mandel– something I haven’t read yet, but that’s sitting on my TBR
- War Storm, Victoria Aveyard– cause that’s a hell of a series, and I need to finish it
- The Martian, Andy Weir– because I’ll need to laugh. I’ll also need some inspiration on how to be creative enough to save myself
- You think I can get an ARC of the next two books in the Red Rising Saga? I can’t be cut off from seeing how that series shakes out
- Something Wonderful, Judith McNaught–one of my all-time favorites
- the entire Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling–okay, I’m cheating since that’s a lot more than 5 books, but they’re escapism and they’re big, so they’ll take up a good amount of time (which I’ll have plenty of while stranded)
- Wilderness Survival for Dummies, John Haslett and Cameron M. Smith–I don’t glamp, let alone camp, so I’d be in trouble out there. Hopefully this book would help me.
- All these Beautiful Strangers, Elizabeth Klehfoth–maybe partly evidenced by #2 on the list, I love a boarding school book, and I’ve been hearing a lot about this one.
- Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer–maybe this one would be too close to reality while stranded, but it’s one I’ve been meaning to read.