- If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
An elephant. They are so kind and lovely and graceful despite their lumbering size. I have great admiration for elephants.
- Which of your five full albums (not just a song here and there) get the most repeat play?
Albums? How old was the agent who wrote this? Honestly, I haven’t listened to full CDs in quite some time, and I haven’t listened to albums since high school. I’ve become more of the random play listener. If I would have to pick, I’m going to have to go back to the time when I listed to an entire “album.”
I’d go with Prince, my all-time favorite, but I’m not sure what album. Is it a cop-out to pick the Hits and B-Sides collection?
For the rest I don’t think I remember the names of the albums so I’ll just list the artists: Arrested Development, B.B. King, Cowboy Mouth, and Bob Marley, or maybe Bob Dylan.
- If you could sum up your life philosophy in under ten words, what would it be (and how did you get there?)
“In life there are no limits.”
At the age of six, I was told by a friend’s mother that I would never like NYC. That it was too big for me (I grew up in a small town in MN). I remember everything about that moment. I remember standing in her kitchen, the color of the cabinets, the placement of everything, and I remember the feeling inside of me and the power those words gave me. I remember feeling taller and stronger and that no one would ever tell me what I couldn’t do. No one has.
- What is your favorite reality tv show?
I should say Top Chef, but currently I’ve been obsessed with Southern Charm.
- If you lead another life, not in publishing, what would you be doing instead?
I would move back to my hometown and become a serial entrepreneur, working to revive a downtown that is slowly reviving itself. Whether it’s open the retail shop of my dreams, or a gluten free bakery, or a restaurant/micro-brewery (or all three). I’d like to be able to build, manage, plan and create, but I don’t have much desire to be the primary baker or brewer.
- What would surprise us about you?
After something like 10 years on the blog I have a hard time believing anything I say would surprise anyone. How about this? That I cry at applause. I’m a mess at a live performance or event.
- If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you have a good chance at winning a gold medal for?
Kettlebell one arm long cycle
- If you could invite any three people (literary or not) to your dinner table who would it be and what would you serve (food and drink)? (1) Laura Ingalls Wilder—I grew up with her and so have my children. I’d love to learn the stories behind the stories. (2) My Grandma Lila who I miss dearly and who would absolutely love a dinner party. She’d also likely be the life of it. (3) Julia Childs who just seems like she’d be so much fun and would appreciate the food no matter what I cooked.
As I was writing my list I was really focused on not just people I’d like to spend time with, but people who would make a fun and comfortable dinner party, who I could talk to without feeling starstruck.
I would like to serve a really nice, but simple red wine. Marietta Old Vine red is a great standby and I’d keep the meal simple too. For some reason I’m thinking it would happen in the Winter so I could cook something warm and hearty and rich. I’d light candles on the table and we’d sit for hours (I hope). And of course the three women I’d invite would bring their spouses so it would be a well-rounded and lively table (the more the merrier).
Food: I keep leaning toward a Polenta, Gorgonzola and Savoy Cabbage Torte from Lidia Bastianich and since I’m a vegetable lover I’d probably also make a giant plate of broccoli rabe. I’d serve a pear and spinach salad, a delicious gluten free bread from a local bakery, and for dessert I absolutely love sticky toffee pudding, gluten free of course. And I’d probably send home bags of homemade chocolates of some sort. Either peanut butter cups or salted caramel truffles.
We’d have lots of wine and coffee (Grandma would insist on Bailey’s with that) for dessert.
- If you could travel back in time to any single year or event then back again only once, what would you choose and why?
Honestly, I’d like to go back and spend some time with my grandparents. Nothing fancy, just an afternoon on the patio, drinking cocktails, blowing off illegal firecrackers, laughing and telling them about my life.