What Makes a Good Client
- By: Jessica Faust | Date: May 08 2019
Sports teams often ask players to make a list of what they think makes a good teammate. Since agents and authors are teammates or partners I thought this would be an interesting exercise for us to do.
We are often asked what a dream client would be like, so here you go. Not so much a dream client, but qualities of clients who make the best partners.
Working with the agents at BookEnds we made a list of qualities we think make a good client, but a good relationship is not one-sided. We also want to hear from you. In the comments, via email or through Twitter, let us know what you think makes a good agent or business partner. We’ll collect your answers and post them to the blog.
Qualities of a Great Author Partner
- Believes in the power of communication–a willingness to discuss questions and concerns as they arise.
- Open-minded to edits, changes and new ideas.
- Looking for a career and willing to work for it including promotion, editing, idea and market shifts, etc.
- Punctual–meets deadlines and commitments (with the understanding that life and extensions happen).
- The desire to learn.
- Unrelenting–never gives up.
- A sense of humor.